Monday, November 16, 2009

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse


This classic tale is an Aesop's Fable, but has been re-told and re-illustrated countless times over the years. I haven't read this Jan Brett version, but my copy is so old that I can't even find an image of it online. I fondly remember the story from my childhood, and my daughter asks to read it repeatedly. If you're not familiar with it, basically a country mouse is visited by her cousin, a town mouse, who proceeds to turn his nose up at her simple home and food. He then invites her to join him in the city and have a taste for his lifestyle. However, upon making the trip all sorts of dangers and frustrations occur, causing the country mouse to realize that she really prefers her simple country life after all. This timeless story is a great reminder that what we already have may be what we truly want most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment