Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Brand New Readers Series


I think the "Brand New Readers" series from Candlewick Press has been around for a while, but it's new to me. This series includes a variety of books (and even some familiar characters, such as Sesame Street) and is ideal for a child who can't read yet but recognizes letters, letter sounds, and maybe some words and names. (For instance, my child can't read the word "Elmo" necessarily, but she knows his name starts with an E and can pick it out if asked.)
Each book includes four short stories, and each story has a little introduction. The stories are very simple, just one sentence per page and illustration. This enables the child to start to predict what each word will be, which then might lead to recognition of the words. My child was very willing to do this exercise with me and asked me to try and find more books in the series. There are occasions when she's not in the mood to try and do the "reading" herself, but that's OK. She's still watching as I read the words.
This series is suitable for a very specific audience, but I think it fulfills that need very well! I much prefer it to the books that occasionally substitute a picture for a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment